Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back at the sandpipe

Home again after a week on the Gold Coast. Usually spend some time on the Spit giving the dog a run with the family at that short beach by the sandpipe. Wasn't much of a day, overcast with a few showers so I gave the big panoramas a miss and just took a few shots around the structure itself. The dog was feral on the day and couldn't get a decent shot of him. (Spaniel)

Used the pocket Panasonic Lumix FT2 which works well around the water with spashes no problem. I quite like the under bridge shot of Surfers Paradise in the distance with just a hint of a rainbow over the patrol tower.

What does everyone else think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Surfing the pipe.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	339296

Name:	Waves under the pipe.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	339297

Name:	Surfers Paradise.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	339298

I like these, great colours and love the splash of wave in the foreground in #2 and the hint of the rainbow in #3.

Comment

Still not much interest in my efforts with the sandpipe. Guess I'll just like it regardless.
      Appreciative of your comment P Plates.

Comment

I like the angry looking sky, gives them a bit of atmosphere, especially the first shot.

Comment

Originally posted by TuonoV2 View Post
          I like the angry looking sky, gives them a bit of atmosphere, especially the first shot.
          Yes, I guess you know the weather up there very well. I quite like it when you get that darkness in the cloud but still get a gap or two for the sun to shine through.

Comment

I think number one has the best overall compostion with the positioning of the dominant feature, that being the sandpipe.
            Like the teal colours of the water.
            IMHO the rainbow is a bit too underwhelming to be considered an element.
            In your last image I'd straighten the horzon and crop tighter to show the shore as the leading lines into the city.
            Think that bright yellow shack to the right might make an interesting object to feature in a seascape also. Not sure how accessible it is.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/77375175@N04/
            Haven't been there, not done that.
            Jo

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
              I think number one has the best overall compostion with the positioning of the dominant feature, that being the sandpipe.
              Like the teal colours of the water.
              IMHO the rainbow is a bit too underwhelming to be considered an element.
              In your last image I'd straighten the horzon and crop tighter to show the shore as the leading lines into the city.
              Think that bright yellow shack to the right might make an interesting object to feature in a seascape also. Not sure how accessible it is.
              Thanks Jo. I love the colour in the water up there too, it reminds me of the east coast of Tassie.

Interesting your comments on the horizon as I believe the picture is level, (note the underside of the bridge relative to the top of the frame). I'm not sure if it's actually lense distortion or the fact that sand dunes define the majority of the horizon apart from that short section to the left which tapers off to sea level. It appears that the buildings in the distance are also on a lean, but that was evident in a previous post which I also put down to wide angle lense distortion.

The yellow shack is a surf life saving tower and is quite accessable and next time I'm up there I'll probably have a closer look.

I take your point on the closer crop but I love that suttle hint of a rainbow which was never meant to be a strong element. Just some colour left from passing rain.

Comment

Working...
              X