Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lonely Canoe

I took this on Saturday morning near the You Yangs on the way to Geelong.

Didn't have time to try and remove the black pipe, also need to fix the green plants on the bottom because they are too green. Any other suggestions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lonely Canoe.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	333344
    Adrian

Gear List

Ooooooo this is a cracker!

Everyone will have their own idea about this one but after you've removed the pipe, I'd ......

* straighten the grass on the bottom so it's an even block (I'd leave the bright colour, I like the contast between this and the natural vegetation)
    * brighten the canoe
    * maybe reduce the brightness thru the trees a titch, as it tends to draw your eye
    * hang it on my wall

I tried looking at this as a pano but the trees in the bkg are so beautiful - colour and texture superb.

Nice pic!! There's not much to do here really .....

I've heard of the You Yangs and it always reminds me of the Ning Nang Nong where the cows go bong .....
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth .....
    Art-ography

Comment

Originally posted by twistednoodle View Post
      I've heard of the You Yangs and it always reminds me of the Ning Nang Nong where the cows go bong .....
      Hahahaha. Haven't heard that in years.

Feel free to post it if you have had a play. Also, any tips on removing the pipe, it's going to be a bit of a challenge with the changing background. Something i haven't done much of so good practice

This was directly opposite the national/state? park in someones backyard (it was a big backyard). Literally cross a road and then your in the park. I did wonder around a little in the park and have one that i will post of looking towards the city but only had a short time so didn't get many images.
      Adrian

Gear List

Comment

love this excellent subject well photographed. The more I look at this the bright green doesn't bother me. Although
        if it irks you mate, desaturate it, after all this will be on YOUR wall
        The pipe should be relatively easy to remove....content aware healing brush is a wonderful thing
        cheers
        tim
        flickr

on the web, www.timmography.com

Comment

Those trees look like they were painted in! Love this.

To clone the pipe I'd increase image size to probably 200%, set clone tool to 0% hardness and use a soft brush. Should be quite easy really and a good exercise if you haven't used the clone tool much. Because the pipe is small and in the background you won't need to do a perfect job but it should clean up ok.

Sometimes it can help to reduce the opacity of the clone tool to about 70%. It means you have to go over stuff a couple of times but it's a technique I use occasionally with some success.

To finish you may want to increase hardness to 100% just to tidy up on the edges.
          -----------------------------------------------------
          Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

Oh that IS green (just looked at it on my computer screen)
            Art-ography

Comment

Name:	tatts canoe.jpg
Size:	354.0 KB
ID:	319412

and then this

Name:	tatts canoe tex.jpg
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	319413
              Art-ography

Comment

Haha, you did a great job of removing the actual pipe but you forgot about the reflection

I like it. Can you please list what you have done, i think you have added a vignette and warmed it up? Anything else?
                Adrian

Gear List

Comment

Doh! The reflection

Using photoshop.....

IMAGE 1.

1. Cloned out tube but not the reflection ()
                  2. Cloned in the grass @ the bottom to make it straight (looks much less saturated/bright in photoshop, its quite GREEN here!)
                  3. Added 2 levels adjustment layers - one to brighten - one to darken with a mask on each so I could brush in the brightness on the canoe and left side of the trunks and brush in some darkness on the bright patch in the middle of the background and right hand side of the trees.
                  4. Hue/saturation adjustment layer (inverted Control I) brushed reduced saturation into grass strip @ the bottom (not that you can tell much )

IMAGE 2.

All the same for image 1 &
                  added two texture layers - masked the yellow one so that it was only revealed in the lower part of the image (the upper was already very warm)
                  the second texture gave it a rough vignette.

I tried a little crop off the top and it looked good but left this as the original dimension. If you would like the .psd files for this happy to send them.
                  Art-ography

Comment

Great pic and yes the trees are gorgeous, I'm being picky here (sorry Kath) but the straightened green grass looks 'wrong' to me with the curves on the canoe now, the bank in the background is not straight and looks good whereas the foreground is too perfect, maybe you could add some wriggles or something . Better you guys than me.
                    Jenne

My Gallery
                    My Flickr Gallery

Comment

Great photo mate. The background is exceptional.

Do you need the grass in the foreground?

Just a quick edit, but when I look at your photo, I think - 1. I love it. 2. I think "old school".

So it's a little side tracked (sorry)... but:

Name:	edited.jpg
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	319417
                      Richie
                      www.richardgrainger.com.au | Facebook Page | Flickr

Comment

Love that!!
                        Art-ography

Comment

Awesome shot and those trees are stunning, beautiful texture and with that golden light through them. I prefer the shape of the grass foreground in the original but do think it needs desaturating in that area. I had to look for the pipe at first, too busy looking at the beautiful trees. Definitely needs to be on a wall.

Comment

Thanks everyone

I will post back when i have had a play with it again. Still undecided on the straightness of the grass, but i didn't even notice that twistednoodle had straightened it so might lean towards that as it wasn't a distraction. Will see how my photoshop skills scrub up.
                            Adrian

Gear List

Comment

interesting opinions on this,

for me I feel that there is just too much going on in the background
                              Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

Working...
                              X