No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carnaby's Black Cockatoo

Endemic to Western Australia, the Carnaby's Black Cockatoos are now on the Endangered Species list - very sad. To know and handle these birds is something very special and they are so smart. I guess we'll just have to enjoy them while we can.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0709-Female_Carnaby's_Black_Cockatoo.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	469949
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

What a magnificent looking bird, such a shame to lose them forever.

Borrowed from Wikipedia.
    "The species' low rate of reproduction and long period of immaturity render it vulnerable to rapid change in the environment as response and recovery are slow.[21] Their habit of forming flocks predisposes them to outbreaks of disease and localised adverse weather events. A probable outbreak of a disease led to the deaths of up to 23 breeding female cockatoos at Koobabbie in September–October 2009, a hailstorm killed 68 individuals around Perth on 22 March 2010, and 145 perished in a heatwave around Hopetoun when temperatures reached 48 °C (118 °F) on 6 January 2010. Temperature and weather extremes in southwest Australia are predicted to worsen with climate change.[41] Carnaby's black cockatoos have been brought to veterinary hospitals with traumatic injuries.[33] Motor vehicles are a hazard, as much vegetation useful to Carnaby's black cockatoos lies on road verges.[41] The cockatoos fly into open space when leaving the vegetation, which is often over a road and in the path of oncoming traffic"
    My Gear

Comment

I've seen it all too many times John. Ravens attack them often and even farmers shoot them. We had one come in with with his beak shot up and 7 shotgun pellets in him and he was nursed back to health by our great crew. Amazing tough bird. It was a Baudin's Cockatoo.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	7893-Shotgun-1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	469957
      I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
      My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
      Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Comment

Working...
      X