No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayaking, diving, and scaring people.

A break a the end of 2012 was definitely in order last week. I packed all the adventure gear in the ute and prepared for a week of sun, sand, surf, family, food, drink and merriment.

Each day on high or low tide, it didn't matter, I took the kayak out into the river. Sometimes the water was right in and under the mangroves and surrounding grasslands, allowing me to explore beyond the limits of the river channels. The roots of the mangroves protruded from the mud on low tide, giving the tiny crabs a forrest of spires to dance around.

Overhanging roosts were often empty on passing, but if I moored under a mangrove and drew the cam-net over my kayak, often birds would relax enough to come and sit for a while.

Sting-rays passed underneath as well as thousands of fish among the weeds and deep channels.

On more than one occasion, I was asked what I was doing by onlookers curious by my return in camouflage kit. A few people got a bit of a fright up-river when I greeted them from my hidden position under the mangroves, for which I had to apologise, even though there was a certain satisfaction that my efforts to hide were proving very effective.

Finally, after nearly two years without going for a SCUBA dive, I managed to get in two dives around Guerrilla bay. Unfortunately, I have no housing for the wildlife camera that can withstand the pressures yet, so I made do with my son's GoPro video camera instead. (Footage coming later). During the dive, we encountered more fish than I care to identify, but the highlights of the dives would have to be some close encounters with a Moray Eel, a very large Ray who seemed just as surprised to see me as I was to see it. I was glad the GoPro didn't pick up the words uttered through my regulator when we met face to face around a corner...

Lastly, in the shallows on our way out, I found an octopus in his hole. To establish trust, I made small movements and gestures with my hand and fingers, approaching slowly and gradually. I presented it with a shiny shell and a colourful rock as a gift, then trust was established upon that. One tentacle came out and touched my finger, then suckered on a couple of times with some test-pulls. Eventually, it was confident and friendly enough to come out of it''s hole, wrapping four tentacles around my hand. I stroked a tentacle gently with my thumb, which was the only digit now free on that hand. Finally, the octopus gave a large pull as a show of strength and perhaps a parting hug, then retired back to it's hole. What a magical experience and a massive rush!

1. Lookin' the goods, but does it work?

2. Well these little boogers have great eyesight and they didn't see me....

3. Looks like it's working for the birds too.

4. And their partners...

5. Throw the cammo off - rancho relaxo style.

Link to story on my website.
    Australian Wildlife Photographer

Barry Armstead Photography
    ASIGN Observatory II

Good grief Barry, not only do you have good legs but you sure can spin a yarn like any credible bush poet.

I guess you will be turning your camera skills away from the sky and facing it down into the ocean.
    Octopus are one of my all time favourite creatures. I bet it was a wonderful meeting you had.
    Thanks for sharing.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/77375175@N04/
    Haven't been there, not done that.
    Jo

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
      Good grief Barry, not only do you have good legs but you sure can spin a yarn like any credible bush poet.

I guess you will be turning your camera skills away from the sky and facing it down into the ocean.
      Octopus are one of my all time favourite creatures. I bet it was a wonderful meeting you had.
      Thanks for sharing.
      My pleasure mate! Legs just need a bit of a tan.... they've been years in long trousers.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Stuff the photos , what sort/size canoe do you have? I have been thinking about a canoe for a while but not use just how much I would use it. Maybe 45 here today and nothing under 40 for the next 7 days but the days are getting shorter and that means winter. And me, winter and water don't mix lol. BTW: i would need a BIG one ATM

Comment

Originally posted by Lost View Post
          Stuff the photos , what sort/size canoe do you have? I have been thinking about a canoe for a while but not use just how much I would use it. Maybe 45 here today and nothing under 40 for the next 7 days but the days are getting shorter and that means winter. And me, winter and water don't mix lol. BTW: i would need a BIG one ATM
          It's just a single seat sit-in kayak. Available at BCF for around $500. It was bright orange and yellow, but I painted it.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Great shots and story. You mean people didn't notice that great big lens poking out of your portable hide.

Comment

Originally posted by P Plates View Post
              Great shots and story. You mean people didn't notice that great big lens poking out of your portable hide.
              Thanks mate. I left it uncovered just for this photo.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

good job on the camo too, need to do something about that big ass white lens sticking out though

edit: just read that you left it out for this shot.

I got a role of multicam tape that sticks to itself which does a good job,
                even a scrim net and rubber band does a good job.
                Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

Originally posted by avkomp View Post
                  good job on the camo too, need to do something about that big ass white lens sticking out though

edit: just read that you left it out for this shot.

I got a role of multicam tape that sticks to itself which does a good job,
                  even a scrim net and rubber band does a good job.
                  Being the 100-400 dust pump, the usual fixed camo neoprene gets in the way of the zoom mechanism. Scrim is best for this lens. I have a shaggy rifle-wrap that does the job.

ASIGN Observatory II

Comment

Good one's Barry. I've been thinking about a conoe also. Was thinking of a Malibu Mini X which weems to get the best write-ups with stability.

Comment

Working...
                    X