Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some more Youth Football (Soccer)

Following on from http://www.ausph.com/showthread.php/...m-last-weekend , here's a few more shots from that game.

As in that thread, I didn't have a good time with shots in my area so most of these are heavy crops from shots some distance away. As such, I realise there are image quality issues for that reason - however, I still figured they're worth posting for review of all the other photographic aspects. Don't think there was anything I could do to improve the overall image quality though.

_MG_2495-2.jpg

_MG_2513.jpg

_MG_2735.jpg

This one below is the only one that was reasonably close - I think the image quality on this one is a bit better, but it's hard to tell
    _MG_2815.jpg

_MG_2823.jpg

Again, the heavy crop is what kills these unfortunately.
    My gear

Comment

Agreed. I think the 2nd one might be a bit clearer though, that crop wasn't quite as bad.

Comment

hey Stephen...lets concentrate on what is "right" about these. The action is well caught, exposure is spot on,and they hold my attention
        ( such a scatterbrain here) Awfully tough to capture without long glass, but I think you have done a fine job.
        cheers
        tim
        flickr

on the web, www.timmography.com

Comment

What gear are you using? Timmo is right, mate. You've done well with no long lens.
          My gear

Comment

To me the quality of the last two do look better than the first three, but they are all great action shots. I don't do any sports photography but I imagine one of the most important things is to not chop their heads off and still have the ball in the frame and you have done that in all of them, and the expressions on their faces are fantastic.
            Tania

Comment

Originally posted by MRA View Post
              What gear are you using? Timmo is right, mate. You've done well with no long lens.
              Thanks mate - though the guys on FredMiranda pointed out that not all of these are in focus either.

Using a 30D with a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 lens

Comment

Well I'll give you a tip mate. Camp yourself up in the corner to the 9 yard box behind the goals. With a 70-200 you should be able to snap a bunch away when they come into that vicinity with no need for a really heavy crop.
                My gear

Comment

That's pretty much where I was. I actually tend to find I have more success along the side line somewhere, as it gives me a range up and down the line to shoot.

Depends on the match really. some games, the team runs the ball into the corner a lot, sometimes not so much.

Comment

Head here to have a look at images at an A-League match I covered a while back. Shot all with a 70-200 f/2.8 and I was able to come up with some shots from that area without any extreme crops: http://www.smpimages.com/albums.php?albumId=173645

I think your problem may be, if you are still cropping so heavily, is that you aren't close enough. Where abouts are you shooting from as in distance from the field? Are you way back in the stands or behind the fence? I'm sure if you asked an official they'll let you sit on a chair about 10-15 metres from the line.
                    My gear

Comment

Working...
                    X