Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some National Youth League soccer from last weekend - Melbourne Heart v Newcastle Jet

Here's some photos of last week's National Youth League match, Melbourne Heart 3 def Newcastle Jets 0

Thanks in advance to anybody who takes the time to CC these images - don't hold back, it's the only way I'll learn :-)

Trying to get used to incorporating Dfine and Sharpener Pro into my workflow...

Not happy with the results, tbh. Most of these shots were from fairly far away and at ISO 400-800 on my 30D. I cropped in heavily on these images, which naturally really brings up the noise and any unsharpness or slight OOF issues. From there I just can't seem to get them looking right - and I'm sure that something's happening in the transition to Flickr.

Anyway...

_MG_1923-Edit-Edit-final.jpg by CapnBloodbeard, on Flickr
    Celebrating a goal in the 1st minute of play

_MG_1963-Edit-Edit-final.jpg by CapnBloodbeard, on Flickr

_MG_1984-Edit-Edit-final.jpg by CapnBloodbeard, on Flickr

_MG_1985-Edit-Edit-final.jpg by CapnBloodbeard, on Flickr

_MG_2054-Edit-Edit-final.jpg by CapnBloodbeard, on Flickr

_MG_2052-Edit-Edit-final.jpg by CapnBloodbeard, on Flickr

There is something seriously wrong with the sharpening around the socks in #1 and #3 particularly. Its almost like you have overlaid the players onto a background. Are you applying to much sharpening?

Comment

I agree that it all looks kind of 'wrong'. I ran noise reduction and sharpening on these (NR with the typical softening effect on an already soft image, being a heavy crop from the original image).
      Simply couldn't figure out how to get them looking right.....

Trying to find more info on how to use these programs to the best effect, the website and instruction manuals aren't particularly useful

Comment

Try Youtube. there are how to videos for almost anything on Youtube.

Comment

in all of them the grass looks like it is over exposed,... good timing on them what was your W/B set at?
          cheers
          Rod
          Wacko-Ocker Photography

I shoot with a camera until I get paid to say other wise

www.wacko-ocker.smugmug.com

Comment

WB was on auto, tweaked it custom in LR - why, does the WB look off?

As for the grass, after I went through my LR tweaks the grass wound up looking almost flourescent, so I used HSL sliders to bring it back down a bit. Do you think it's still looking too light, or what?

Comment

The grass looks synthetic. If it is the always shoot with the sun behind you otherwise it will totally screw your exposures even if it's cloudy.

P.S. When are you going to post the goalie shot?

Comment

Originally posted by K1W1 View Post
                If it is the always shoot with the sun behind you otherwise it will totally screw your exposures even if it's cloudy.
                Really? How's that?

P.S. When are you going to post the goalie shot?
                I've got another half dozen images from that match, I was going to have another crack at the processing and post them a bit later in the week.
                In the meantime though, is this the shot you're talking about?

_MG_2183-Edit-Edit-final.jpg by CapnBloodbeard, on Flickr

Comment

yes that's the one, saw it on your Flickr.
                  Synthetic grass is essentially plastic and it reflects any light source if you are shooting into the sun across a synthetic pitch you will always be funny colours coming at you plus reflection from any tiny bit of moisture that is trapped on or in the blades.

Comment

You learn something new every day, thanks :-)

Comment

hey that shot is excelent, balance looks good, so you have been holding out........... posting the average one's first...thats my trick
                      cheers
                      Rod
                      Wacko-Ocker Photography

Comment

yes that's the one, saw it on your Flickr.
                        Synthetic grass is essentially plastic and it reflects any light source if you are shooting into the sun across a synthetic pitch you will always be funny colours coming at you plus reflection from any tiny bit of moisture that is trapped on or in the blades.
                        i was going to ask the same thing...........I don't see much synthethic here in the bush.......... we know how to grow grass
                        cheers
                        Rod
                        Wacko-Ocker Photography

Comment

Originally posted by wacko-ocker View Post
                          i was going to ask the same thing...........I don't see much synthethic here in the bush.......... we know how to grow grass
                          You also probably don't have clubs with 40 teams that have to train in the same pitch and then play up to 12 games a weekend on it.

Comment

Working...
                          X