No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's been a while

And I've been busy.

Been doing a bit of work on the Lux, false deck under the roof rack, fridge box, stove box, racks to hold about a dozen jerry cans and a large camper box with sliding tray. Installed triple battery system, full underbody rebuild, fitted a gps navigator, radio, temp guage (proper one that measures block temp rather than water temp) and a hundred other little bits and pieces all in preparation for an extended journey through the western and central deserts next year, straight after the wet as soon as the roads open.

You will probably get sick of me talking about this trip, most of my friends have and there's still four months, three days and a couple of hours before I head off...but who's counting.

Couple pics of the beast...don't look too close at the workmanship here as I'm into function more than form .

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0725-XL.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	397556

Name:	IMG_0727-XL.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	397557Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0723-XL.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	397558

Here's a snap from Google Earth of the St Fredericks Range, one of my primary destinations. Accessed via the Sandy Blight track west of Alice Springs, one of Len Beadells brilliant tracks. I hope to cover a few of Len's tracks, The Anne Beadell, the Connie Sue and a couple of others, also plan on spending a few weeks in Rudall National Park. Was planning to tackle the Simpson and Birdsville/Oodnadatta tracks and then home via the Binn's track through the NT but sadly the fuel budget may not stretch that far.

The plan is to hold an exhibition when I get back and sell squillions of images at wildly inflated prices to finance trip #2 after I repair the damage to the Lux after trip #1.

Name:	st%20fred%20range-XL.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	397559
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Good to see you back here Mick.

I didn't realise that you would be travelling in sheer luxury. Always thought of you as a minimalist, ruff-it sort of guy!!

Thanks for posting, and don't stop now!!
    Charles

My indecision is final, I think.

Comment

Gettin' soft in my old age Charles..bought a lovely cardboard box to sleep in on the cold rainy nights.

I see it as a lovely three storey home with magnificent views, and free rent.

Delusion is a wonderful gift if used appropiately and in large doses

Comment

Good to hear from you again, sounds like the trip of a life time coming up.

What if there were no Hypothetical questions?
        CC always welcomed, feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time - Thanks.

Comment

Thanks Gaz, yeah, almost two years in the planning and I'm starting to champ at the bit. About three years ago I camped out on a track east of Nullagine and had what I suppose most would call an epiphany shortly after. Why, why, oh why wasn't I doing more of this! After a while the why became a why not closely followed by a hell yeah let's make this happen.

So it's about to happen.

We only get one go at life and I ain't got as much time left as I had yesterday or the day before. I'm calling it my "Time to eat some serious dust before I die desert extravaganza tour, part one"

Comment

• Gaz
            Gaz commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally agree, we only get one go at it and a very short go at that! ... why not pack all ya can into it?
            Now talking about packing stuff in...hope that Fridge Box/Mini Bar is built with the T.A.R.D.I.S in mind? "Could get real dry out there!"

Cheers.

Great to see you back Mick.

I can't see the Sat Dish so you can download pics to us enroute? Probably will be installed at the last minute.
          Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Thanks Alan, Sat dish will go in straight after the aircon, power steering and plasma tv are fitted.

There are a few points along the way where I'm hoping for internet access, we shall see.

Comment

naar just drop into free Wifi at Maca's
              cheers
              Rod
              Wacko-Ocker Photography

I shoot with a camera until I get paid to say other wise

www.wacko-ocker.smugmug.com

Comment

Good call wacko!

Comment

HI Mick.
                  Good to see you back on line. I am envious of your planned trip. I have been out there a couple of times myself great country. Rudall River is an amazing place. We went into the Rudall River from the Eastern side. We camped out in the river bed under a hollow tree with a budgie nest inside. Got some amazing shots of the budgies flying in and out. The Simpson desert was interesting but the Birdsville track is a major highway now, no challenge at all unless you are caught out there in a storm. Then its quite amusing. Hope to see plenty of shots.
                  Canon, 5D MK3 5D Mk11 300mm f2.8, 28-300 f3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, 100 Macro.

Gordon
                  Excreta Tauri Astutos Frustrantor

Comment

Thanks Gordon. Rudall in particular has me all fired up.

I'm hoping to enter from the west via Christies Crossing, also want to spend time at Pearana Rockhole on the way in. Pretty nervous about this leg of the trip as my research indicates this particular track in can be difficult to follow at times, especially after a good wet. Very keen to visit Hanging Rock, Desert Queen Baths and Graphite Valley.

Any info you can throw my way would be deeply appreciated.

And there will be plenty of shots!

Comment

Good to see you back Mick - I'd assumed you were already out in the back of beyond when you hadn't been on the forum for so long. Can understand the cost of fuel governing the extent of your trip. It actually gets landed in the port here and we still pay 8-10c more per litre for diesel than a small town 45 mins south of here. I'm also hoping to travel more next year but won't be roughing it as much as you but then I probably won't see a lot of what you see either.

Comment

Cheers Gabby.

I wont be doing it too hard as I bought an Oztent RV3, best tent I've ever seen, also bought a padded stretcher bed and a top shelf sleeping bag. Taking plenty of shade and I also bought a great new camping chair so I'll be camping in quite a degree of comfort as befits my age

But I'll be traveling in the old Lux so yeah, I'll be roughing it a bit. when on the move. Kinda like the old thing though, best vehicle I've ever owned in many ways, we've seen a few thing and been a few places. I did splash out and had the drivers seat rebuilt an added a canvas seat cover, it's almost luxurious! Almost...well nearly almost...ok it's still terrible but I'm allowed pretend

Comment

Working...
                        X