Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Danger

On a day of Catastrophic Fire Danger, a fire broke out in the Belair Park near Adelaide. We were lucky, as it was contained without spreading too much. If it had been a windy day, anything could have happened.

I took a camera along to get a few snapshots when I was able to.

The fire front is slowly approaching.

Units on the ridge making sure the fire is stopped here.

The fire bombers are always a welcome sight.

As is Elvis .....

The result once the fire has passed.

Charles

My indecision is final, I think.

I took shots of the Kelmscott-Roleystone fires in 2011 (72 homes lost and 32 more damaged) and it's a very scary thing to see. It was started by an ex policeman using an angle grinder. Your photos tell a very real and sad story of how a fire can be so devastating and final.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Isac View Post
      I took shots of the Kelmscott-Roleystone fires in 2011 (72 homes lost and 32 more damaged) and it's a very scary thing to see. It was started by an ex policeman using an angle grinder. Your photos tell a very real and sad story of how a fire can be so devastating and final.
      Thanks Isac. This fire apparently started from sparks from a goods train.

The other day, they arrested an arsonist who was apparently starting fires to the south of Adelaide. He was not given bail. No surprises there!
      Charles

My indecision is final, I think.

Comment

Amazing photos Charles - you guys do an awesome job - must be so frustrating to think someone lights fires on purpose
        Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Thanks for sharing these images from the front line Charles! And thanks for being on the front line. Looks like nothing but hard work with high risk attached and you are to be commended for your commitment.

Good to hear they caught the arsonist. Hard to believe they have no idea of the carnage they can cause, serious jail time coming up I hope.
          -----------------------------------------------------
          Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

I didn't know you were a firey Charles. Amazing photos, the top smoky ones are something I hope to never see and the ones of Elvis are to me simply jaw dropping stuff. I'm glad you were able to contain this one quickly, the damage in your bottom shots while bad is way different to what we've seen in our surroundings here since a year ago, At leat your trees still have leaves on them for now and a good clear out of the bottom vegetation. Scary stuff. I really can't imagine why anyone would get their kicks from deliberately lighting fires, I think they should be chained to a pole out the front of their home and watch as it burns to the ground then they may get some inkling of the devastation they cause to innocent people.

Pete is still waiting to have his (our) home completed after losing it January last year, will never recover from losing his precious tangible memories and possessions.
            Jenne

My Gallery
            My Flickr Gallery

Comment

Total Fire Ban today.

We were walking into a local winery for lunch, when we noticed a smoking patch of tan bark next to the gate. A Solar Light had just melted/exploded? Quickly a bucket of water was poured on it and the water boiled around the melted light.

Scary stuff as there were another 30 or so solar lights in the bark beside the path leading to the restaurant door. (If you've ever wondered how fires can start)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lark Hill fire w.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	371760
              Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Amazing scarey stuff. Well done Charles.

Comment

Gee Alan, how fortuitous you noticed and drowned it, and thanks for the heads up about solar lights too.
                  Jenne

My Gallery
                  My Flickr Gallery

Comment

Glad to know about the solar lights. I've never heard about it happening before. Many of us have solar lights, so I'll think twice about where they are situated.

Comment

Amazing photos Charles and glad you got that fire under control. Hope you get some respite from the heat soon. As for arsonists - hope they start throwing the book at them - like so many senseless crimes most of us cannot imagine what satisfaction they get out of starting fires. Also interesting about the solar light - although I guess in the right conditions they act a bit like a magnifying glass for the sun.

Comment

Congrats Charles on the images posted and for standing in the front line for all of us. Thanks Alan for posting the solar light 'melt down' ..... a good warning to everyone.
                        Barb
                        "If you change the way you look at things ........ the things you look at change"

Comment

Working...
                        X