Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plover's eggs?

Along Victoria Parade with no parent birds in sight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Eggs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	340263

aww no mamma or dadda around, that's strange isn't it!! I have never seen Plover eggs ... way different to chicken eggs lol.
    Anna
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/ladymilli/
    My stuff - 7D |100mm macro|Tamron 17-50mm|50mm 1.8|Sigma 50mm 1.4| stuff for macro

Comment

They do look like Masked Lapwing (used to be called Spur-winged Plover) eggs. But I'm no expert.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=m...w=1467&bih=834
      Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Very unusual as plovers like Magpies are very protective parents.

Comment

Originally posted by P Plates View Post
          Very unusual as plovers like Magpies are very protective parents.
          Plovers are paranoid … … coming back from a walk this arvo I was swooped about 8 times (for the first time ever) a couple of houses down from my place … … so not impressed!
          Had my camera, briefly thought of trying to get a picture … but to see one homing in on you does not give you much of a chance to focus and duck at the same time.
          Barb
          "If you change the way you look at things ........ the things you look at change"

Comment

They're certainly protective once the eggs hatch.

I have a pair of Spurwing/ Lapwings that nest in the park just over the road from my house. They have chicks once or twice a year depending on the season. It's interesting to watch the chick grow to the stage the parents force them to fly and then leave. It's a real education on parenting.

At times the chicks get down in the gutter and are not able to get back up onto the grassed area. (They've also been up my driveway). It's a real challenge to get them back to where they belong. It's usually me with a golf umbrella making a ramp of some sort and then herding them to the park with parents in full dive bomb mode!

Comment

Hmmm umbrella may be the way to go … we have the Spurwing here nesting in the park on the corner … and others nesting on nature strips along the street. Early this year was the first time we have had several 'families' in the street, they can be so noisy … but they are great 'watch dogs' during the night, if anyone or anything is out and about in the dark the whole street hears about it.
              Barb
              "If you change the way you look at things ........ the things you look at change"

Comment

Working...
              X