No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trails are the fun you have when there's no TV

G'day all

Recently I have been exploring more of the esoteric features of the Panny FZ-200, and I find that I can do long exposures of startrails... which I had thought previously could only be done on an SLR or the older Panny cameras which had an 'infinity' option against continuous exposures - so I could do 500 +/- exposures easily. The FZ-200 does them in bursts of 100 images then kicks off again for more

Here's a couple from the last week or so ... the background sky varies as with the start time for the series > the further after sondown, the darker the background sky

1) one of the first attempts - and it has "broken-strings" along the way. I also had issues with vehicle headlights, thus causing me to erase a number of images

About 400 camera images of 8-sec ea; F2,8 @ 24mm; ISO-1600

2) another one where we were parked close to the road ... and trucks with "bluddy-great-searchlights" were lighting up the camera for 1-minute before they arrived ... ie: light problems for about 1,5~2km from the camera position

About 500 camera images of 8-sec ea; F2,8 @ 24mm; ISO-1600

3) taken in a country town's showgrounds and the faint light from an outhouse was illuminating the foreground

About 400 camera images of 8-sec ea; F2,8 @ 24mm; ISO-800

All images were then stacked using 'Startrails.de' software - a free download, created by Anton Schiller an astronomer & photographer & enhanced by the Open Source community

As always, feedback welcome
    Phil

Yes that's one of the things you could be doing when you don't have TV!

Comment

Seems like you've devoted a lot of time to these shots Phil. They appear to have worked out OK though. I think the other lights give something extra to the images. Well done.
      I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
      My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
      Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by seaslug View Post
        Yes that's one of the things you could be doing when you don't have TV!
        G'day Greg

Actually it's not hard really ... every 20-25 minutes I go out to the tripod, cancel the remote, restart the remote and go back to whatever I was doing

Phil

Comment

• seaslug
          seaslug commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Phil, yes I do know how to do it and Ive seen some wonderful examples of it over some spectacular scenery. I just can’t stay awake long enough. Auroras are about my limit!
      Working...
      X