Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another attempt at the Milky Way

Sometimes I can be such a doofus. Checked TPE re size of moon and saw moonrise was 10.30 - assumed pm, forgetting it used a 24hour clock. So, was really disappointed to find the fairly small but very bright moon high in the sky after driving 45 mins to get to this location. However, just after Easter moon rise will be late at night so will definitely return for another attempt then. Also wasn't sure exactly where the Milky Way would be and took some really nice foreground shots at dusk to blend only to find I was about 45 degrees out. Another thing I will know for next time. The glow lower right is from a popular bush camp. All similar compositions but processed differently. Did try to get a foreground shot but needed more light - this is blended Used a Topaz Filter on this
    Attached Files

I not only invented but perfected doofus so don't worry about it too much.

You're definitely on the right track Gabby! (That's my first pun for the day and I've only had one coffee!).

Great composition and choice of foreground here. The track and trees lead perfectly to the milky way. I prefer the first image because the balance of light between earth and sky is spot on imho. Purely subjective call there.

A well constructed and thoughtful image and I like the blue sky and hint of cloud. If the trees were sharper that would be a real bonus but I'm being really nitpiccy.

Good luck at Easter! I'll look forward to seeing how you go.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

I've only tried star trails and not the milky way. It would be nice if I could get as good an effect as yours. It keeps raining here.

My preference is for the last 2 photos as the first one looks a bit dark on my screen. I like both the second and third versions, but perhaps lean towards the warmer tones and more stars in the Topaz version.

Comment

Very nicely done - agree with Mick about the track leading you in. #1 or #3 for me
        Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

I'm really enjoying following your trek to the stars Gabby.

The topaz filter created some really intense colours in that last one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77375175@N04/
          Haven't been there, not done that.
          Jo

Comment

Thanks everyone - at least I know where the Milky Way will be and the composition I want for next time. Might need some helpful advice re blending, especially the tops of the trees. Now I just have to pray for clear skies around that time. One of our sons gave hubby an interval timer for his birthday and he got some incredible star trails with just 30 shots - so both of us are keen to try again.

Comment

Working...
            X