Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragonflies

The birds were a bit quiet at first this morning, so I tried a couple of dragonflies.

Both with Nikon D800 and Nikkor 500mm PF f/5.6

The Nikon D800 was released in March 2012 so is now 12 years old. Mine was purchased in July of that year. This shows how much improvement in image quality has slowed. Ten years ago a ten-year-old camera would have been obsolete in terms of noise performance, dynamic range and resolution.

1. 1/2500 f/5.6 ISO 2200
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220411_EaglebyWetlands_0056.jpg Views:	13 Size:	362.9 KB ID:	485424

2. 1/2500 f/5.6 ISO 1800
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220411_EaglebyWetlands_0060.jpg Views:	11 Size:	377.8 KB ID:	485425
    Last edited by wigz; 12-04-2022, 05:02 PM.
    Alan W

My Gallery

G'day Alan

Extraordinary mate ..... just extraordinary
    Don't lose that combo nor trade it in for something that the advertisers claim is better !!

Phil

Comment

• wigz
      wigz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Phil. I only tried these because the dragonfly kept returning to hover in the same area, allowing me to get it in the frame and fire off a few shots. Usually I can’t even get them in the viewfinder. I was pleasantly surprised with the results.

The improved focus on newer cameras is appealing, but there’s no way I can justify spending the amount required to buy one.

Stunning shots Alan. Nike you said, not easy to get them "on the wing" but if they insist on hovering near you, it would be easier.
    My Canon 7Dii was released in September 2015 so that's getting on a bit too. Can't afford a full frame so I can live with the IQ it produces.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Comment

• wigz
      wigz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Isac. I think one of the reasons that camera sales have slowed so much much is that advances in IQ has slowed. The main reason for the decline, of course, is phone cameras

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      IQ nowadays is brilliant on most name cameras so I can agree with that. It would be difficult to improve on current IQ - if anything it would be minor. Not a fan of phone cameras so I won't be contriguting to that market. Before they put cameras in phones, everyone could afford them. Now you actually buy a small powerful camera and they chuck in the phone. The disgusting prices really put me off and the way the West is forced to subsidise the developing nations is another put down for me.
Working...
X