Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep away from my nest you mongrel

Spotted this Sand Monitor (I think) after hearing screeching coming from a gum tree near where we were camped at Mildura.
    #1 One of the birds that was making a fuss. Noisey Miner (Manorina Melanocephala)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Mildura Trip 2019_0150.jpg Views:	1 Size:	144.7 KB ID:	466915

#2 This guy was at least 1.2 meters long and very determined to get to the nest, which very high up in the tree. Judging by his claws I have no doubt that he would have made it.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Mildura Trip 2019_0154.jpg Views:	1 Size:	252.7 KB ID:	466914

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mildura Trip 2019_0152.jpg Views:	1 Size:	224.6 KB ID:	466916

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_35340.jpg Views:	1 Size:	181.0 KB ID:	466917
    Last edited by Grumpy John; 25-10-2019, 08:27 AM.
    My Gear

Those noisy miners do cause a hell of a ruckus and you can`t blame them with that bugger going after their nest.Like how you got him all in #2 but #4 would be my fave,he`s giving you the "evil eye" for sure.
    C+C,EDITS OK
    I shoot a Canon 90D with a few bits of glass.

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Kevin. He let me get quite close, I think he was too focused on the nest to worry about me.

Nature in a pictorial series... Well done.
    A HAPPY PENTAX USER

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you EM, finding this Sand Monitor going about his natural business was a real bonus for me.

Lovely series GJ! It's a real buzz when you catch something like this, rather unexpected - and glad you have your camera with you. I missed a classic this morning (no camera), a beautiful Black faced Cuckoo Shrike RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME on a low branch with only blue sky behind it. Ah well, a moment lost. I think all of your pics need a contrast boost, to me they look a tad flat. I may be wrong. Maybe setting a USER Picture Style to push the contrast and saturation up a bit? Does this look any better?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Noisy_Minor.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	467027
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Comment

G'day GJ

All looks beaut to me matey - just keep cleaar of those claws

Phil

Comment

Working...
      X