Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Bit Of Fluff

Still playing around with the 7D Mark II, I thought I'd try my hand at some flowers. Okay, not really a flower .

#1. This image needed a lot of adjustment to get it to this stage. It has been cropped pretty heavily.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A-Bit-Of-Fluff.jpg Views:	1 Size:	137.6 KB ID:	460953

#2. With all of the adjustments set to default.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A-Bit-Of-Fluff-(crop).jpg Views:	1 Size:	98.5 KB ID:	460954

#3. the Uncropped image.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A-Bit-Of-Fluff-(full-size-).jpg Views:	1 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	460955

File Name: E:\Users\John\Pictures\Flowers\Flowers_0105.dng
    Make: Canon
    Model: Canon EOS 7D Mark II
    Software: Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 9.1.1 (Windows)
    Date/Time: 2018-12-20 13:49:34
    Exposure Time: 1/160 sec
    Exposure Program: Aperture priority
    Exposure Bias: 0 EV
    F Number: F 8
    Max Aperture: F 4
    ISO Speed ratings: ISO 100
    Flash: Flash did not fire [off]
    Focal Length: 70 mm
    35mm Equivalent:
    Metering Mode: Spot
    GPS:
    Lens: Sigma 17-70 2.8

What's going on, you would think that with spot focus selected and the "flower" being in centre image that the exposure would be better?
    Should I be calling Canon?

Last edited by Grumpy John; 20-12-2018, 12:33 PM. Reason: Fixed some typo's.
    My Gear

The processing has come up well but the unprocessed images do look very under exposed.
    Does you aperture priority setting automatically adjust both iso and shutter?
    Sony A7rii
    https://www.redbubble.com/people/Tod...ortfolio?asc=u

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      It can do both, but I had the ISO set to 100, and Av at f8.0 so only shutter speed would have been adjusted "in camera"
      I will try again with ISO set to auto and see what that looks like.
      I never had exposure issues like this with my 7D 1.

Nice bit of fluff John. I would set the ISO to Auto and let the camera do its thing with it. Easy to check your histogram to see if any adjustments are need. For this shot, I would set it to: Aperture Priority | Auto ISO | f:5.6 and then check the histogram for under/over exposure. While you're experimenting with stationary objects, start with taking a shot in AUTO and have a look at the image info to get an idea of the "Triangle" it uses. All I can offer at this stage.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      A lot like shooting in manual, I don't recall having this much trouble with my original 7D. Maybe I changed something critical when I was playing around in the settings menus. I can always set the camera back to factory default and see what results I get. I do have all my settings saved in the spreadsheet.

With ISO set to auto. Not much improvement, and even with ISO set to auto it still chose 100.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Auto-ISO.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	460964

File Name: E:\Users\John\Pictures\Photoholics\Auto-ISO.jpg
    Make: Canon
    Model: Canon EOS 7D Mark II
    Software: Adobe Photoshop Camera Raw 9.1.1 (Windows)
    Date/Time: 2018-12-20 14:44:57
    Exposure Time: 1/250 sec
    Exposure Program: Aperture priority
    Exposure Bias: 0 EV
    F Number: F 8
    Max Aperture: F 4
    ISO Speed ratings: ISO 100
    Flash: Flash did not fire [off]
    Focal Length: 70 mm
    35mm Equivalent:
    Metering Mode: Spot
    GPS:
    Lens: Sigma 17-70 2.8
    My Gear

Comment

Someone on another forum may have come up with a viable reason for the exposure issues.

"Interesting, the scene in question is a mainly mid tone scene and should have been an easy subject for the meter in evaluative mode, the only reason I can think of is if you had spot metering selected and the camera has tried to expose the white seed head as mid grey??"
      My Gear

Comment

Working...
      X