X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of Frogs

Found a couple of unprocessed ones

Spotted Grass Frog

The spotted grass frog or spotted marsh frog (Limnodynastes tasmaniensis) is a terrestrial frog native to Australia. It is distributed throughout all of New South Wales and Victoria, eastern South Australia, the majority of Queensland, and eastern Tasmania. It is also naturalised in Western Australia, having been unintentionally introduced at Kununurra in the 1970s, apparently during the relocation of several hundred transportable homes from Adelaide. (Wikipedia)

Eastern Banjo Frog, Limnodynastes dumerilii dumerilii

The frog is also called the pobblebonk after its distinctive "bonk" call, which is likened to a banjo string being plucked.

This is the most widespread of the five subspecies. It is mostly associated with the slopes and ranges of New South Wales, northern Victoria and the Murray River into South Australia. This subspecies normally inhabits woodland, heathland and farmland. Breeding takes place in streams, ponds and dams.

Limnodynastes dumerilii is a burrowing frog. During dry times, and often just during the day, they will burrow underground. They will often be seen in large numbers after rain, and under the right conditions mass spawning can occur over just a few days. They have been known to call while underground, and can do so at any time of the year after rain. (Wikipedia)

Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Both fantastic images, #1 being a winner here(by a fraction) with that silky smooth colorful water and little bow-wave he's pushing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	smileys-cheers-316756.gif
Views:	62
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	405478

What if there were no Hypothetical questions?
    CC always welcomed, feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time - Thanks.

Comment

Very good, I hear frogs at night but never see them.
      A HAPPY PENTAX USER

Comment

Love that first shot also,

I love frogs and have one of the local species to the Torrens River catchment in Adelaide,

that second shot is great also with the detail.

thanks for the details on them also, much appreciated

Would you mind if I post a pic for you of the frogs I have at home in my pond to have a look at as I have no idea what type they are?

cheers Eden
        I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
        Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Originally posted by Gaz View Post
          Both fantastic images, #1 being a winner here(by a fraction) with that silky smooth colorful water and little bow-wave he's pushing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n405478[/ATTACH]
          Thanks Gaz

Originally posted by eaglem View Post
          Very good, I hear frogs at night but never see them.
          Cheers Bob

Originally posted by Eden View Post
          Love that first shot also,

I love frogs and have one of the local species to the Torrens River catchment in Adelaide,

that second shot is great also with the detail.

thanks for the details on them also, much appreciated

Would you mind if I post a pic for you of the frogs I have at home in my pond to have a look at as I have no idea what type they are?

cheers Eden
          Go for it - I'm pretty useless with frog IDs, but someone might be able to help.

Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Thanks Alan,

I have no idea of the type but they are between 3 and 5 cm long and make a "bart" noise and have a rotating chorus of croaks in a repeating order, a bit like the old "close encounters" theme.

I have had the family and its offspring going for nearly 16 years now.

I will remove this in a couple of days !

cheers Eden
            Last edited by Eden; 08-03-2015, 03:42 PM.
            I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all the kinds of things you can't see from the center.
            Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

You got the dof pretty much perfectly in the first image, razor sharp eye and milky colored water......Even a slight reflection. Very nice.
              Michael

Comment

Great shots. We rarely see frogs - lots of canetoads in summer

Comment

Working...
                X