Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Neck Heron ??

Saw this bird in a small water hole and pulled over. Hopping out of the car caused a small herd of cattle to race across the creek and up the far bank which of course set the bird to flight before I had changed the settings on my camera. So definitely a case of focus and hope for the best and quite heavily cropped as I only had my 70-200 on the camera. Take off Pity the background wasn't better
    Attached Files

Sorry about the cattle. But you'll get another chance I'm sure.

I'd agree with your ID

Cheers
    Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

ID looks good to me. Just a tip for birding Gabby, always have 400 iso set as a minimum before you even get out of the car. I know you were rushed for time here but I'll mention that just for future reference and perhaps for the benefit of others.

When I'm birding I always have shutter speed set to 1/1250 if possible just in case an opportunity like this presents. If the bird remains still there's almost always time to wind things back a bit. Being the heavy footed clumsy clod that I am I assume that nine times out of ten the bird will take to the air before I get close enough for a static shot.

Well done capturing these at only 200mm! Impressive.
      -----------------------------------------------------
      Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

Beautiful irridescence in the wing and back feathers.

Comment

Thanks Alan, Mick and Greg. Will try and remember that advice Mick. Had just shot a landscape scene so beside low ISO also had the camera on bracketing - luckily only in 1 stop increments so not as bad as it could have been.

Comment

Working...
          X