No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pub on the coast

G'day all

South Australia's Spencer's Gulf coastline is home to many small communities - Port Germein being one of them. Via a very shallow bay and sand flats that extend hundreds of metres out into the bay, this village lays claim to Australia's longest all-timber wharf

An information panel offers .... "The jetty was constructed in 1880s and measured 5,400 feet or approx 1,700 metres. Over the past 140 years the jetty has seen some very rough weather which has caused severe damage at times. The jetty was restored in 1953, 1975 and 1981 after being almost demolished through storms and very high tides. The jetty today measures approx 1,500 metres."

1)- the pub ... today offering Devonshire Teas, scones with jam and cream

exif- Panny FZ-2500; 1/2000s x F4,5; ISO-125; lens at 20x zoom / 480mm FFequiv

2)- the timber wharf .... if you can see it in the distance!

exif- Panny FZ-300; 1/1000s x F4,0; ISO-100; lens at 1x zoom / 35mm FFequiv

As always, feedback welcome
    Phil

More classic Aussie shots Phil. Shame you couldn't get a nice cold one at the pub. I won't mention the horizon in your fabulous panorama. It's the longest wooden jetty in South Australia. We in WA claim the longest in the Southern Hemisphere at Busselton - 1,841 metres (6,040 ft). It got to be that long because over time the drift sands made it too shallow to moor the boats and they just kept adding more to it to get to the right depth for mooring.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Comment

• Ozzie_Traveller
      Ozzie_Traveller commented
      Editing a comment
      Thx mate for both info & thoughts re- the cold one
      Phil

Interesting building Phil but I think the front being in shade lets it down a bit.

As you mention, at this size the jetty is just about lost between the sand and sky.
    Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

Working...
    X