Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain

Not sure where I should put this. Went for a walk along the pier at Coffs Harbour. Was chasing texture for an upcoming camera club theme, but it's mono and whilst I love this shot in colour wasn't happy with the results in mono
    Attached Files

This is one of those simple line images which work well with some filter treatment. How do you think this looks?
    Attached Files

Comment

Yep that works well on this image Greg. Never gave it a thought myself.

Comment

I think it is screaming out to be a black and white image, so I've had a play if it is all right with you. The background is not jet black, but just the sea turned very dark. I did exaggerate the roughness of the chain because it was supposed to be a photo about texture.

The conversion to black and white was done with a preset in the free software Kiwi told us about - Perfect Effects 8. The preset did make the chain too light, but Perfect Effects has layers and an adjustment brush to select different parts of the image. It can be made an edge aware brush. Using that I did remove the preset from the chain, and then bought it back into Photoshop and did a standard B&W conversion which made the chain about the right shade of grey. I then bought out more detail in the chain in Photoshop, but I could have used Perfect Effects as it has a couple of good settings for bringing out detail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	p_plates_chain_edit.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	381395

Comment

Thanks inapickle. That's much better than my attempts at turning it mono. I did get that software so will have another go. Thanks for taking the time and also for including an explanation of what you did.

Comment

Working...
          X