No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey lag geese

Passed these grazing in a stubble field while on the way home. They didn't like the look of the camera but gave me a bit of practice with AI Servo (have never really got on with that)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fly away.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	489122

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grey lag take off.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	489123 .

G'day Kelvin

You certainly got the action going there ... and #2 as a crop from #1 shows the best for the lens / camera combo as well
    Well done

Phil

Comment

Thanks Phil,

I really struggle getting AI Servo to focus on BIF. Must be me as I see so many great pics taken with the 7D Mk11.

Comment

Good action there. Yes, birds in flight are a challenge but rewarding when you get one.
        Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

Nice work on getting these Kendall. I have the same camera and love BIF shooting. My settings are below if it's any help.

Canon 7Dii
          Af operation: AI SERVO
          Drive Mode: High speed continuous
          AF point selection:
          1. Expand AF area
          OR
          2. Expand AF area:Surround
          OR
          3. Manual select.:Zone AF
          Set the AF case to Case 3
          AI Servo 1st image priority: Equal priority / Second image priority: Focus
          Exposure Mode:
          1. Manual: 1/2000th - f8 - ISO 500
          OR
          2. Tv: 1/2000th - f6.3 - ISO AUTO
          BACK BUTTON FOCUS is a MUST!

I have these settings assigned to C3 on my Custom Functions so I can turn the dial to the end and know I'm ready for shooting BIF.
          I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
          My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
          Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Comment

• AlfandBen
            AlfandBen commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for that Isac.

My settings at the moment are similar but not quite the same.:

AF operation: AI SERVO
            Drive Mode: High speed continuous

AF point selection:
            Expand AF area:Surround
            OR
            Manual select.:Zone AF (This is the main one at the moment)
            AF case - Case 2
            AI Servo 1st image priority: Equal priority / Second image priority: Focus

Tv: 1/2000th - f6.3 - ISO AUTO (since checking out the EXIF on a few shots on here)

I flirt with BBF. Sometimes I think it's great other times it seems to miss. I find it a little uncomfortable to ensure a firm press on the button.

I will give your settings a try and let you know how I get on.

Bif is something you have to work at. the trick is to find somewhere where there are repeatable targets like seagulls, but can tune up on all sorts of things. I used to go to the local dog park sometimes too. I generally use one active af point or maybe one with the surrounding ones active too. called d9 on the nikon. back before extensive testing, I thought more af points had to be better. but not necessarily so cos the camera could like something other than my subject as the focal point. and could be slower to lock up also. less points works better for me cos it focuses on what I want, so long as I can keep the subject under the af point. all this takes practice though. doesnt happen overnight. I see these new mirrorless jobbers have animal eye autofocus and other miracles. not tried one yet, but I have seen people who I know not able to track birds in flight etc pulling off some spectacular pix, so maybe there is something in it.
          Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

• AlfandBen
            AlfandBen commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the advice Stephen. I have tried centre AF point with expansion but struggle to keep the focus on the bird. I'm also not sure Servo AF works terribly well for me in that configuration so tend to use zone AF ( and accept that the focus may not be exactly where I want it)..

I should practice more but something always seems to be more important (at least to the OH).

I will get there but maybe slowly.

The images are so exciting and energetic! I love em!

Comment

• AlfandBen
            AlfandBen commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Dolina, I was quite pleased with them as the light was going and I only had a short lens on the camera, just in case, as I had seen them the previous evening.
        Working...
        X