Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	483635
    #2 - Singing Honeyeater in an African Tulip Tree
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6347-Singing_Honeyeater.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	483636
    #3 - Same Singing Honeyeater in the African Tulip Tree. Interesting facts about that tree below.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6337-Singing_Honeyeater.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	483637
    African Tulip Stats & Facts

The African tulip is an exotic from tropical western Africa. It is well known for its very distinctive showy bright orange-red tulip-shaped flowers that cluster densely at the tips of its branches.

This tree flowers year-round, with a peak season in spring. It also grows long (15–20 centimetre) seed pods. These can disperse around 500 winged, papery seeds each before dropping.

This tree can grow to enormous heights (up to 25 metres) with a wide spreading crown, which is part of the problem, as it will crowd out native trees.
    As its seeds are readily dispersed by wind from a great height and also by water along the waterways that it tends inhabit, it can be found in many areas where it is not wanted.
    This includes agricultural land and rainforests in both tropical and subtropical parts of the state.

The impacts of this pest tree go further, however. When its abundant nectar ferments, it becomes toxic to native Australian bees and kills them. This can have a devastating effect on Australian native trees, as native bees play a critical role in pollinating them. The role of bees in our world is often not fully understood but it’s safe to say without them our world will slowly perish.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

A hefty fine for anyone growing them would seem to be in order. You havn't spiked this one yet?
    Birds are looking happy about it. Little do they know what awaits them.
    Better a full bottle in front of me
    than a full frontal lobotomy.
    Hans

Comment

• Ozzie_Traveller
      Ozzie_Traveller commented
      Editing a comment
      Hans- I presume that it will sit as a 'sort of a problem' with the authorities doing nothing until something hits the fan and then 'they' will suddenly spring into action just before the next election
      Phil

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      Not spiked yet mate. It's been there for the last 18 years and nobody has died yet (that I know of). It doesn't seem to bother the birds, only the bees. There are a few other trees nearby, which the bees seem to flourish in, so maybe they are savvy to the poison being there in the tulip tree.

• HansE
      HansE commented
      Editing a comment
      That has a familiar ring to it.

Good shots Isac. I didn't know the African Tulip Trees were a pest. I've seen them in gardens but never noticed them in the wild. I'll have to watch out for them.
    Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      Cheers Alan. Most of the trees in WA are planted in gardens so I guess many don't know of the effect it may have on the local fauna.
Working...
X