No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first encounter with a wild lyrebird

I managed to get a photo of a lyrebird in the wild while we were away. I only had the 24-105 lens on the 7D at the time so IQ is not the best. The camere did struggle to obtain focus in the low light and the fact that the bird blended in to the surroundings did not help.

Model: Canon EOS 7D Mark II
    Date/Time: 2021-04-25 10:24:22
    Exposure Time: 1/200 sec
    F Number: f/4
    ISO Speed ratings: ISO 2500
    Exposure Program: Aperture priority
    Metering Mode: Multi-segment
    Exposure Bias: 0 EV
    Flash: No flash,compulsory
    Focal Length: 105 mm
    35mm Equivalent: 168 mm
    Lens Model: Sigma 24-105
    GPS: 34.6331233 S , 150.7224250 E

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lyrebird.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	478629
    My Gear

Nice better than most of mine. they they are beastly hard things to get decent photos of.
    I nearly collected one in the car last night it ran across the road right in front of me. I got to test the ABS. It's the first time I have had a near miss with one. I can now add Lyrebirds to the near miss club along with Wallabies, Kangaroos, Snakes, Wombats, Goannas and Deer.

Comment

That't a nice encounter and you didn't need a $10000 lens.
      Better a full bottle in front of me
      than a full frontal lobotomy.
      Hans

Comment

Nice.
        You should checkout some of the vids of these guys on youtube - they make the best noises.
        Sometimes I wonder about using live-view for when the camera hunts with the viewfinder, probably slower but could be more accurate?

Comment

• Ozzie_Traveller
          Ozzie_Traveller commented
          Editing a comment
          G'day mate

re-- Sometimes I wonder about using live-view for when the camera hunts with the viewfinder, probably slower but could be more accurate?

Reports I get from overseas sites make reference to 'poor' Live View from dSLRs even though they have had many years to see how the superzoom makers do their EVF focussing operations. Although it's been a while since I was able to do a side-by-side comparison of a dSLR's Live View compared with my Panny with EVF, the dSLR Live View was a poor comparison. However, when "there ain't light to see & focus, there ain't gunna be much to take a photo of"

Phil

Originally posted by K1W1 View Post
        Nice better than most of mine. they they are beastly hard things to get decent photos of.
        I nearly collected one in the car last night it ran across the road right in front of me. I got to test the ABS. It's the first time I have had a near miss with one. I can now add Lyrebirds to the near miss club along with Wallabies, Kangaroos, Snakes, Wombats, Goannas and Deer.
        Thanks for the kind words K1W1, very hard to achieve a decent image of a bird that blends in so well with it's environment.

Originally posted by HansE View Post
        That't a nice encounter and you didn't need a $10000 lens.
        That's true Hans, it's not the cost of your equipment, but how you use it.

Originally posted by Kwanon View Post
        Nice.
        You should checkout some of the vids of these guys on youtube - they make the best noises.
        Sometimes I wonder about using live-view for when the camera hunts with the viewfinder, probably slower but could be more accurate?
        Thanks for commenting Daniel. It was the noises that the Lyrebird made that attracted me it's presence. There were actually two males carrying on a treat so I suspect that there must have been a female nearby.
        My Gear

Comment

Good to get a catch like that in the wild John. Good work.
          I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
          My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
          Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Comment

• Grumpy John
            Grumpy John commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Isac, Not the best IQ, but happy that I achieved an image that I could share.

• Isac
            Isac commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what it's all about mate. Perfect IQ is sometimes unobtainable with quick wildlife shots so the important thing is that you got the shot.

Well done John, it’s better of mine. I only have a couple of half birds. The father of a friend (not a serious photographer) got a video on his phone of one calling and displaying beside the track he was on. It was quite close.
          Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

Working...
          X