No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Pied Cormorant

This little guy was also taken at Bushells Lagoon. NW Sydney.
    f5.6 - 1/1500 - ISO160

Most of the time on this was getting the watermark action sorted (Thanks Isac)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pied-Cormorant.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	468505

Cheers
    Ross

They make for a good photo Ross, lovely colours in this one and I like the subtle reflection as well. Hard to tell if the small spots are dust bunnies or part of the background. I see you got the watermark action working, no problems I hope. It's hard to do a tut for things like this, because everyone has a different idea of the effect they want.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Comment

• RossW
      RossW commented
      Editing a comment
      Isac I will have to look at the raw to see if the spots are in the background or dust bunnies but to be honest I didn't do the spot removal. The watermark action is great, thanks again.

Ross

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that Ross. I'll post below some alternatives for fonts for your watermark - only suggestions. The great thing about changing the fonts is you don't need to change the action. Just rename the current file and name the new watermark image the same as the original and have it in the same folder of course.

Love pose,would he be in Breeding colours?
    C+C,EDITS OK
    I shoot a Canon 90D with a few bits of glass.

Comment

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure Kevin. I know when I'm in breeding mode I change to red

• RossW
      RossW commented
      Editing a comment
      I couldn't tell you Kevin. Still pretty New at this bird photography stuff.

Ross

nice image. I think the neck seems a tad hot. happens a lot with birds like this, you need to often back exposure back 1/3 or even half ev to deal with it, helps if you can avoid shooting cross light too. btw I notice you at windsor way. pughs lagoon at richmond is worth a visit too. you could also do a cruise around the turf farms at cornwallis rd etc to get assorted raptors hunting over the turf
    Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

• RossW
      RossW commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Stephen, thanks for your comments re the hot neck, point taken. It was shot mid morning so the sun was high. I have spent time at Pughs Lagoon but find Bushells Lagoon to be more natural with more variety but you have to work harder.

Ross

Ps have you been to the wildlife refuge at Homebush? If so what is it like & do you have to park at the Archery Centre?

I prefer bushells also, but for a while there it was raped, so we stopped going. was always good. best was like 11 whistling kites and a few eagles, bsk and a peregrine.
    by wildlife refuge, I assume you meant waterbird refuge. there is a hide there but is useless these days since they installed the tidal gates. you had water up to the hide once but no more. so now your best options there are early mornings and on the western paths, around where the tidal gates are, you will get all sorts of waders there and egrets etc. morning you have the light where you want it, afternoon you are shooting into it. they got silly barricades up there too so you probably not want to use them but get in front of beside them. park at archery centre as you say.
    the best spot for practicing your flight shots is at lake belvedere at homebush though. you there is an island there where cormorants and everything nest and or roost. there is a viewing island with a small bridge to it, both the bridge and island offer good opportunities for flight and if you lay on the bridge, eye level with coots, swans etc. this spot I regarded as the best in sydney for this sort of stuff, but a few high rise towers have risen behind them to the NW making for shadow there in the arvo when you may not want it. worse in winter I think. best time is afternoons there for light behind you, and better still in a norwester cos all the birds will take off and land into the wind and into the light. you enter off australia avenue and go along bicentennial drive around the perimeter of the place. looking to park when north of the lake. can be popular on weekends particularly saturday when weddings are there too. but worth a look.
    Last edited by avkomp; 02-01-2020, 08:06 AM.
    Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

• RossW
      RossW commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much Stephen, much appreciated
Working...
X