No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right place, wrong lens

I was out 4WDriving with some friends the other day when we came across a pair of juvenile Peregrine Falcons sitting on a cliff face. We wondered what the white markings on the rocks were so one of the guys had a look through his binoculars and spotted the young falcons.
    Of course I only had the 24-105 on the camera, so apologies for the poor image quality. This image is very heavily cropped.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Falcons.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	467893
    My Gear

Yeah GJ

The bird nesting signature of 'poo droppings' is clearly visible - and you've probably done the best you can with such a lens
    [I could add "that's why I travel with my 24-600 all the time" but I won't rub it in]

Phil

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      I have considered purchasing a bridge camera something like the Panasonic Lumix FZ300. Or even the Canon PowerShot SX70 HS.
      The really sad thing is that I had my 150-600 but left it back at the base camp as I was traveling in someone else's fourby.
      Last edited by Grumpy John; 08-12-2019, 07:57 AM.

• Ozzie_Traveller
      Ozzie_Traveller commented
      Editing a comment
      GJ- I'd go for the Panny as the lens is sharper + being a constant aperture F2,8 thru the whole zoom range

In this case that will do just fine as it will prompt a memory the same had it been a bit bigger and sharper.
    Better a full bottle in front of me
    than a full frontal lobotomy.
    Hans

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Hans, we could see the parents circling the area, probably waiting for us to pi$$ off.

My eyes aren't the best now GJ and all I can see is snow on rocks!
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      I wouldn't be eating that snow Isac

• Ozzie_Traveller
      Editing a comment
      Eating?? nup ya mean playing in it dontcha?

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess from reading the comments that the snow is actually bird poop! That's a relief, I was thinking about a winter break and getting fitted out for some skis

Hi, GJ. If you need a bridge camera (and I suggest you do) here's a comparison of the Canon (my recomendation as a second camera) and Phil's Panny. They are 2 different units as you will see. The Panny is a much larger unit, whereas the Canon is small for carting around.
    https://cameradecision.com/compare/C...mix-DMC-FZ2500
    Amazon (Aust) prices.
    Lumix $1399
    SX70 $749
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Comment

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      I only used Amazon to compare the difference John. They are probably a lot cheaper elsewhere.

• Ozzie_Traveller
      Editing a comment
      Ahhhh fellas
      The SX70 is a vastly different animal than the FZ-2500 ~ the SX has a 2/3" sensor while the FZ has a 1" sensor ........ it's a bit like comparing the APS sensor with the FF sensor > the two camera bodies & prices are very different

If you are going to use the SX with its F3,5~ F7 @ 65x zoom lens, you may need to consider the FZ-80 as it has a similar sensor & F2,8~F6 @ 60x zoom lens

If you are going for sensor size & associated image quality & optical quality all in one package, then the FZ300 is your answer ... Panny have held the sensor to 12mpx to minimise noise and associated issues and the 24x zoom lens is a constant aperture F2,8 lens. You all know the value of constant aperture zoom lenses, and to have a lens that in low light can shoot at 400 - 500 - 600mm equivalent at F4 or better is damn fine photography

Phil
      Reference ... http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...tDir=ascending

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your input Phil, much appreciated. I checked the specs on the FZ-80 and it is quite impressive, and for under $500 makes it a good choice for a carry around/travel camera. I also use the compare feature in DPR for assessing lenses and bodies.
      Thanks also to Isac for supplying the link to Camera Decision, IMHO this site gives much more meaningful comparison between cameras although you can only compare two cameras at a time.

https://cameradecision.com/compare/C...Lumix-DMC-FZ80

If I had a dollar for everytime I have been caught with the wrong lens I`d be able to buy the 5D mk iv I want,sometimes you just have to do the best you can with what you`ve got.
    C+C,EDITS OK
    I shoot a Canon 90D with a few bits of glass.

Comment

• Grumpy John
      Grumpy John commented
      Editing a comment
      Spot on Kevin, I would need a pack mule if I were to take every lens and body I owned with me.
Working...
X