No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Swans Nesting

This swans nest is the reason I went to the wetlands late in the afternoon. I thought the late afternoon light would work well given the location of the nest and the only suitable viewing location. The only problem were the egrets, spoonbills and stilts massed behind the nest that, being white, tended to blow out.

While I was there the pair swapped incubation duty. Unfortunately I couldn't get a decent shot as I only had a back view and the closest bird obscured the other.

The water is very low with Pied Stilt feeding around the nest and if the dry weather continues the swans may end up high and dry.

1. I would have preferred a wider crop but limited by out of focus white birds.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190116_Eagleby_0171_crop_sml.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	462080

Name:	20190116_Eagleby_0195_sml.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	462081

3 This isn't much of a shot and is a heavy crop, but you can see one of the eggs

Name:	20190116_Eagleby_0024_sml.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	462082

Alan W

My Gallery

Pretty special to see mum and dad sharing the "sitting" duties. A bit different to us humans.
    Most lay 4 to 8 eggs that and incubate them for about 35–40 days. They don't start Incubation until the last egg is layed so they can have the cygnets all hatched at the same time. mum and dad both incubate the eggs, with mum doing the night shift. After hatching, the cygnets are tended by the parents for about 9 months until teenagers. Our swans have stayed together way past that time, so they must all be getting along. I hope you get some good cygnet shots.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Comment

Thanks for all the info Isac. I will be checking them out from time to time.
      Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

Good stuff Alan. I have never seen them nesting before, so find it interesting.
        Cheers, Brad.

Comment

• wigz
          wigz commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Brad. There are a few spots around here where they nest regularly but this is the best view I've had yet.
      Working...
      X