No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan-tailed cuckoo

This one has quite a lot of noise but it flew away before I could adjust my settings to the shade and this is my only image of this species.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180817_Eagleby_0115_sml.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	457698
    D800, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 + 1.4x TC @420mm. 1/1000, f/5.6 ISO 3200
    Alan W

My Gallery

Well done wigz. Lovely colours and good detail. I don't have a problem with the noise myself but if you want to have a play, you could always reduce it in PS. I prefer to use a freebie plugin called
    Freeware Boundary Noise Reduction from Colormancer rather than Photoshops own NR filter.
    It does a great job. I notice also that your image is really small at only 89kb so if you increase that to about 250kb you'll see some improvement in IQ. Is there a reason for having a small image? Cheers, Greg.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Comment

• wigz
      wigz commented
      Editing a comment
      I normally stick to ps quality 8 and only bother fiddling with Save for web if it's over 250k. I don't get the security issue with exif but I guess some people could go overboard with contact details.

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      All good wigz. Do you resize to 1024 before saving JPG at quality 8?

• wigz
      wigz commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes Isac I resize it first. I realise I could use save for web to do it in one step, but normally I don't consider file size when saving jpg's for viewing, so it's just an ingrained habit.I'll have a look at that noise reduction plug-in.

Beaut catch! I saw one the other day at the Arboretum but it was when I didn't have the camera.. always the way!

I still haven't got a decent shot of one.. do have the Pallid Cuckoo being fed by two different species of Honey-eater but the fan tail still eludes me.

Comment

• wigz
      wigz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Greg. I have some shots of the channel-billed and a partially obscured pheasant coucal. I'd like to get a koel but they seem to stick to high in trees. you probably don't see any of these down your way.

Originally posted by wigz View Post
    This one has quite a lot of noise but it flew away before I could adjust my settings to the shade and this is my only image of this species.
    All the birds I try to photograph fly away before I get the lens cap off . Well done Alan.
    My Gear

Comment

Great capture Alan. Eye contact, focus, color all there. I can't see any noise.

And Greg (Isac) is correct. These things can be fixed in Photoshop or Lightroom.
      Charles

My indecision is final, I think.

Comment

Thanks all for your kind words, There is more noise there than I like, but is not apparent at this size. I think a print would look ok. I applied as much noise reduction as I could without removing feather detail and the background is clean as the Nik software seems to be more aggressive in areas where there is no detail,
        Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

Working...
        X