No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• masked owl

first pix of a masked owl for me so stoked overall.
    we got a tip that they had been seen in an area and after dusk heard the calls, so managed to locate one. is a young female.

d4 600f4 tc17 1/60 f10 iso 1600 full frame. tripod, flash and better beamer

a full frontal (so to speak) wish the eyes were fully open, but will take it

d4 600f4 tc17 1/60 f10 iso 1600 full frame. tripod, flash and better beamer
    Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Beautiful photos. Wish I had them near me.

Comment

Stunning! Great control of flash
      Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

What those 2 said. Excellent work by a pro.
        I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
        My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
        Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Comment

Superb shots Stephen. The lighting from your flash is amazing. I am intrigued about this better beamer, will have to check them out. Can I ask what the distance was ?
          Cheers, Brad.

Comment

thanks folks.I wish I had these guys close too. was hour drive each way, plus about 1km night bushwalk each way with a heavy pack. but you gotta do it.

there is nothing special about the flash, is just a common sb800.
            the better beamer probably makes the difference though.
            is also called a flash extender.
            a bit of practice with now the flash works under different conditions lets you get the light right mostly

our flashes are computerised these days and the camera communicates the focal length of the lens iso and aperture among other stuff.
            but
            the sb800 can only zoom up to 105mm
            if you are using a longer lens than that, then essentially you are firing light out wider than your picture angle.
            this is a waste of light and battery power.
            the better beamer is a couple of plastic brackets that sit either side of the flash head and has a fresnel lens stuck on it.
            a fresnel lens like those full page magnifiers you used to get from the newsagent /stationery shop.
            the magnifying glass thing refocuses the flash light,
            so if you using a longer lens, you can concentrate the flash so that it doesnt go out the sides and more of it goes where you want.
            this does a few things for you. firstly the flash goes further cos you arent wasting light out the sides,
            also because you arent wasting the light, the cycle time of the flash is quicker, allowing for a faster follow up shot if needed.

the masked owl shots were about 25-30mm I think. not checked the range just going from memory
            the powerful owls were at 39m though
            Stephen Davey. Nikon Shooter

Comment

• Ironwood
              Ironwood commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for that explanation of the flash extender, if I end up getting one I might bother you for a few more tips.

Stunning reward for undertaking the journey ...... well done
            Barb
            "If you change the way you look at things ........ the things you look at change"

Comment

Please consider submitting one of these in the POTW comp
              Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

WOW, I can't think of anything else to say except stunning and as Alan said, perfect flash control.
                Lloyd
                Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
                Flickr
                Smugmug

Comment

Working...
                X