No announcement yet.

All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backyard Birds

Been a while since I looked in here. Here are a few birds I snapped the other day in my backyard.

Female Figbird.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2062.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	412334

Male Forest Kingfisher.

Name:	DSC_2194.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	412335

Female Yellow Bellied Sunbird.

Name:	DSC_2240.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	412336

Name:	DSC_2249.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	412337
    Cheers, Brad.

#1 is nicely framed, pity there wasn't the lovely light on her like on the kingfisher. Love #2 the kingfisher really pops and all the rules say you should give room for the subject to look into but I think your composition works with more room on the shadowed end to really highlight the bird. #3 and #4 is a bird I've never seen before and the bright yellow looks great with those pink flowers with yellow centres.

Comment

Thanks for the critiques P Plates.

I took about 30 shots of the Kingfisher, so I ended up with the bird in various positions in the frame over the course of them.
      Normally I would choose one with the bird looking into the frame, but for some reason I liked this shot most out of the good ones I had.
      The first 15 or so shots had the white feathers totally blown out. Once I realised this was happening I reduced the exposure by one stop to start, then 1 2/3's. I think this was one of the last photos. Perhaps I should have tried 2 stops as well, as the detail in the white is still lost.
      Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Great colours in the Sunbird photos.

Yes, whites still look a bit blown on the kingfisher.

If you have the facility on your camera, turn on the 'blinkies/highlights' on the LCD preview so you can see the blown bits flashing.
        Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by caralan View Post
          If you have the facility on your camera, turn on the 'blinkies/highlights' on the LCD preview so you can see the blown bits flashing.
          I don't think my Nikon D7100 has that feature. I just need to be more mindful of what I am doing.
          Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Hi

Your D7100 does have that feature. "In Highlights display mode on your Nikon D7100, areas that the camera thinks may be overexposed blink in the camera monitor. One of the most difficult photo problems to correct in a photo-editing program is known as blown highlights in some circles and clipped highlights in others.
            Both terms mean that the brightest areas of the image are so overexposed that areas that should include a variety of light shades are instead totally white."

Have a look at

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...kon-d7100.html

and http://masteryournikon.com/2014/09/1...splay-options/

and scroll down to 'Highlights'

Good luck
            Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Female Yellow Bellied Sunbird.

5 stars colors amazing...

Comment

• Ironwood
                Ironwood commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Marios.

Some beautiful images here, the sunbird images are outrageous.
              -----------------------------------------------------
              Question everything ~ Christopher Hitchins

Comment

• Ironwood
                Ironwood commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks LC.

Originally posted by caralan View Post
              Hi

Your D7100 does have that feature. "In Highlights display mode on your Nikon D7100, areas that the camera thinks may be overexposed blink in the camera monitor. One of the most difficult photo problems to correct in a photo-editing program is known as blown highlights in some circles and clipped highlights in others.
              Both terms mean that the brightest areas of the image are so overexposed that areas that should include a variety of light shades are instead totally white."

Have a look at

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...kon-d7100.html

and http://masteryournikon.com/2014/09/1...splay-options/

and scroll down to 'Highlights'

Good luck
              Thanks for that I had no idea I could do that on my camera.
              Will definitely have a play around with that feature and see what it can do for me.
              Cheers, Brad.

Comment

Working...
              X