All bird Photos.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Beaks

Hi,

I briefly called into the Eurobodalla Botanic Gardens, Bateman's Bay, at lunch time today. I saw a few Yellow Robins in deep shade and some very quick New Holland Honeyeaters, both of which eluded my lens.

So all I managed were a couple of the bigger, slower birds, again.

Thanks for having a look.

Laughing Kookaburra - Dacelo gigas

D7000 300mm 1.7TC - reasonable crops on both. Some PS work on #2

Purple Swamphen - Porphyrio porphyrio

Last edited by Alan; 17-05-2013, 09:41 PM.
    Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Always happy to look at your pics Alan.
    Interested in your experience with TCs.
    Judging by your images they seem to work really nicely without much loss of IQ.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/77375175@N04/
    Haven't been there, not done that.
    Jo

Comment

Great shots Alan, I really like 2 its a really great portrait.

Both are really great captures.

The next time you capture a portrait shot of a Kookaburra could you please ask it to clean its face first. Putting images up with a dirty beak, just isn't good enough.
      Canon, 5D MK3 5D Mk11 300mm f2.8, 28-300 f3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, 100 Macro.

Gordon
      Excreta Tauri Astutos Frustrantor

Comment

Both great portraits Alan - bigger, slower (although not sure the swamphen qualifies) birds are definitely what I aim for. Haven't quite got to this quality yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
          Always happy to look at your pics Alan.
          Interested in your experience with TCs.
          Judging by your images they seem to work really nicely without much loss of IQ.
          Thanks Jo. I'm very happy with my TCs. The x1.4 was suggested for the 300 f/4 and it is great. But of course it didn't take long for me to want more reach and I saw the photos a guy was getting on an Aus bird forum with a x1.7 and a D7000. He said he had no problems with it, (but not to get the X2). So I got the 1.7 and it's stays on the lens/camera almost all the time. It sometimes struggles with very low light, but I shouldn't be trying to use it then anyway.

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
          Great shots Alan, I really like 2 its a really great portrait.

Both are really great captures.

The next time you capture a portrait shot of a Kookaburra could you please ask it to clean its face first. Putting images up with a dirty beak, just isn't good enough.
          Thanks Gordon - the rest of the bird was pretty grubby too - not sure what it had been doing

Originally posted by P Plates View Post
          Both great portraits Alan - bigger, slower (although not sure the swamphen qualifies) birds are definitely what I aim for. Haven't quite got to this quality yet.
          Thanks . The Swamp Hens usually disappear as soon as they see me, but in the Bot Gardens they are used to people, so I could get much closer than normal
          Alan

D7500 | iPhone XS Max | Mac

Flickr Instagram

Comment

Working...
          X