Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Son In Scarface's Car.

The Cadillac is a 1:18 scale model from the movie Scarface. After shooting the car for forced perspective, I had my son sit on a stool in the approximate place he would be if he was sitting in the car. Its the same 3 shots needed for forced perspective, the background shot, the shot with the car, and the shot with my son.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9205Kyle in Scarface Caddy with Inset EgoLR.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	508364

Hi Paul

Good to see you again -- and this is yet another beautie showing us your skills
    Phil

Comment

• Paul Mitchell
      Paul Mitchell commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Phil. Good to see you as well. Its been a while.

You did well with this one Paul. I'm not sure if it's me or not but the shadow on your son's arm looks different to the other parts of the car, like the mirror and the door handle.
    I Shoot A Canon

Web: isacimages.com / My Gear / Flickr Photostream
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Comment

• Paul Mitchell
      Paul Mitchell commented
      Editing a comment
      The shadow on the mirror and door handle are actual shadows. My sons arm wasnt resting on the car door so I put the shadow in myself. The 3 objects are all on different positions on the car. The mirror sticks out so the shadow is longer. The handle is further down the side of the door thus another different angle. And my sons arm is resting right on the top of the door and not sticking out so another angle. If its not perfect, neither am I.

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that Paul. I do understand about the shadows. Maybe your added shadow is a bit too dark and probably could be a bit sharper to match the mirror and handle? Just a thought, you're much better at this than I am of course.

I don’t consider this to be photography.
    It is artistic or digital manipulation or creative but it is not photography.

Comment

• Paul Mitchell
      Paul Mitchell commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats your opinion and you are welcome to it. Everything is done with a camera. Except for the shadow under my sons arm which I had to create in Photoshop.

• Isac
      Isac commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi K1W1. Every member of this forum can post what they like as long as it is in the appropriate channel and Paul has done that in this channel named "Artistic Expressions". I'm sure every image on this forum has had some sort of adjustment or manuipulation by the author to make their own visual improvements as they see fit. It's all photography as we know it. If we only allowed "out of camera images" here there would be no forum. We all have our own talents and prefered genres and we welcome all types of "photography" including constructive critique and opinions. This is mine, as is yours. Cheers.

Very creative Paul, and skillful. Do you collect these models. There is something not quite right about his hand or arm. I can't pick what it is, but my eye went straight to it.

Actually I think it is all three - photography, digital manipulation and artistic. Not something I'm interested in doing myself though
    Alan W

My Gallery

Comment

• Paul Mitchell
      Paul Mitchell commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes Alan. My son and I have over 600 of these cars. We also collect posable figures from Hot Toys.

The camera never lies phrase is way out. It is marvellous that you have the skills for this manipulation....

Love the car too...

Comment

A blowup of the 3 shadows. Keep in mind I do what I can and my reason for doing it is just for fun. And to see if I can do it. Its more about the cars and making them look real. Sticking my son in them is just icing on the cake. Had I not asked him to hold his arm out so it seems like its resting on the door it would have looked more real. But I have no regrets.

Name:	Kyle Shadow Problem.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	508402

From an earlier shoot and another nice car.

Name:	Kyle In Convertible.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	508403

Comment

• Isac
        Isac commented
        Editing a comment
        That second one is really good Paul. After looking at the arm shadow it probably only needs to be sharper and some more added behind his sleeve. Only a nit pick though. I do like your fun creations.

For anyone following this thread I would like to say I take strong offence to being told this isnt photography. Taking multiple shots with camera on tripod and then blending/mixing/manipulating or whatever other word you want to inject here is a lot more fun than just walking outside, pointing the camera at a tree and claiming that to be the only type of photography. Even a monkey can take a self portrait and receive full copyright. But that same monkey couldnt actually create something from a couple of photos. Perhaps a discussion thread could be opened where we openly discuss what is a photograph and what is not.

Comment

Name:	Rowena's Pussy cat (Custom).jpg
Views:	96
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	508434

My sister's pussy-cat, at Terrigal beach

It is a fun side of photography. I have been known to fiddle a little with photos, ..............................

Not with any skill I must add...

As long as the viewer is aware of composites, etc

Comment

• Paul Mitchell
          Paul Mitchell commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahaha, good one. Now you have taken an otherwise snapshot, into something of interest to others. Also you have probably had fun using Photoshop or some other manipulating program, keeping those brain cells active. Win Win.

• Isac
          Isac commented
          Editing a comment
          You weren't LION when you said you say you love to fiddle a litttle with photos.

• MJ224
          MJ224 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha ha, Isac, good one...
      Working...
      X